Friday, September 19, 2008

Introducing Aruna Rangarajan, Your Holiday Finalist


Meet our finalist of the day! Read on to learn a bit about her and her entry.
If you like what you see, comment right here--everybody likes props on their hard work! And check back weekdays through October 3 to meet the rest of the finalists.

Tell us one of your best (or most entertaining) holiday memories.
We were in the 8th grade. It was Christmas Day and all of us decorated the class windows with fake snow, tinsel, and huge, handmade Christmas cards. Then Ms. Joan, our English teacher, brought us cupcackes and we sang the "Twelve Days of Christmas" until the bell rang and it was time to go home and stay home for Christmas vacations. Aaaaah. Oh-and I also had the best Secret Santa in class.

I got in the holiday mood for this contest by . . .
...daydreaming about presents, and ribbon, and glitter, and ornaments, and family, and more presents, and eggnog, and cake, and tinsel, and gift wrap, and carols, and snowmen.

Why is your card the perfect choice for anyone sending holiday cards this season?
This card is a simple and perfect way to share your holiday joy and cheer with the people you love. It also speaks for sharing on a deeper level, with people that need us across the world. Two beautiful messages in one simple design.

Tell us (and the world) a little bit about yourself.
I'm a peace loving illustrator from New York City. I live with my husband and my lovely Mac laptop. In my spare time, I read children's books and watch too much TV.

12 comments:

Kitchen Emporium said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Love it!! Very simple design but with great detail. My top favorite so far!!

HT BloggerVSA said...

Agreed. My FAVORITE so far! Absolutely fantastic!

Stephanie said...

Fantastic!!

madhatter said...

very simple but with a deeper meaning... just the perfect message for this holiday season. Love it!

reverberation said...

perfect

Unknown said...

Nice design.

I'm not sure where it is best to leave the comment, so I'll leave it here. I was forced to evacuate from Hurricane Ike and upon arriving home, I found an 18 by 24 inch hole in my living room roof and a 5 foot by 3 foot by 2 foot hunk of chimney in my living room, itself, as well as 2 inches of water on the floor and about 5 feet of rubble.

All of our living room furniture is destroyed, as is the flooring, walls, and many other things, but we are still much more fortunate than so many others. The rest of the house survived, standing and unscathed. We didn't even have a broken window. (The roof hole from where the chimney fell went right between the skylights!)

All toll, we have roughly $80,000 worth of damage to the structure and another $10,000 to personal contents we lost, but we've already been in touch with FEMA, our insurance adjustor, and a general contractor. We WILL rebuild!

Take care and hopefully, I'll still catch everyone for the next contest.

Jill

Unknown said...

That should have read 18 by 24 foot hole. (Stressful week) It took a 30 by 40 foot tarp to cover the hole and even at that, I can see the upstairs of my house from outside.

R.D. said...

WOW poeticfisherman. My sympathies. I hope you can rebuild soon and have at least some normalcy back.

I couldn't believe we actually suffered from IKE here in Kentucky! LOL..It was a mind blower. We had very strong winds. We went without power for 24 hours, but there are still some parts of KY without power! Amazing for being a state not known for hurricane damage.

In anycase, I can see the pattern now they were looking for within these holiday cards. I think mine, not being all that pastel and muted, might have been the reason not chosen. Good concept, bad colors. LOL...

I've been doing research and I "believe" the next contest may be either for the spring collection -- which entails Mother's Day and Graduations; or it may be a simple thank you card. So I am going to begin work now on a few designs.

My congrats to all of the holiday finalists!

NaNa said...

AWESOME!! I think your card really reflects the holiday spirit yet is simple and elegant. Great job and definitely my favorite.

Nithya David said...

Like advertisers say - "Keep it simple, stupid" thats what this card is all about. Just when you think its a simple card there is a sudden twist to it
Great work!

Unknown said...

Aruna, Kudo's from your arsty friends in Nashville, TN. We love the card design and the spirit in which it was created. We're rooting for you! -JN